So you're wondering why you should gift NPCs, well for one they give you items in the mail when you become closer to them, most of the time they contain gifts that could help you at the time being such as crude gems.
They also increase fraction points towards the group they are in, in which you exchange those points in order to craft certain items. Some NPCs will even give you a discount as you get full friendship with them.
Throughout gifting, you'll also be able to talk to them and ask/answer questions, try your best not to click rapidly as most people do, you are trying to find the best answer to get more fondness with them. Giving a wrong answer will increase their aversion.
Eventually you'll reach 2 noticeable areas where they give you a gift which will increase more fondness as you give each gift, keep this until they reach 100% and then you can sell it to the NPC if you please.. The other gift is a memory regenerator where you can hear their voices, I usually keep the amazing ones like Kevin and Irine and NPC the rest.
Once you reach 100 or close, you might get a picture in the friendship album, but I am currently unsure of how this works since I only got one from Irine so far, though I've seen a second picture from her, I haven't obtained it either.
Tips and tricks
- Most gifts stack up to either 10 or 20, you can mass farm them and then mass gift if you please
- Give gifts to Bailey before May and then Chandler, otherwise you'll have to work on 2-3 of them at the same time!
- Same goes with Steve and Deckard, Steve first!
- Hubert & Kevin before Invisible Thief (even though he has no union group, don't think he's worth it then)
- Try focusing on union groups rather than those who don't have any. (Lily & Invisible Thief)
- Check out what you can trade points for, so you can aim for a certain group more than others
Q: What happens when I get 100 aversion?
A: It resets your friendship and aversion to 0 for that NPC
Q: What are those fraction points for?
A: You are suppose to trade those in for goodies that depends on each group. You can check out what you are able to obtain by looking at the groups in your friendship menu (Default key: Y) and going to Alliance
Q: Can I still gift even though they have reached 100 friendship?
A: Why yes you can. You can still obtain gifts and alliance points with them.
Credits to Remi